Friday, April 16, 2010

poor man's macro

Linking up with Finding Serendipity

Macro photography is a really unique look that shows extreme detail, usually very close up. On a point and shoot, that little flower icon is the macro setting. Use it! I think it's about the best feature of p&s. But if you have an slr, it takes a special (pricey) lens to get this look. Or so I thought.

Way back in November I read this article on the MCP Actions blog on how to achieve a macro photo on the cheap. I couldn't believe what they were telling me to do. Take the lens off my camera and hold it backwards against the sensor? How could that be right?

I meant to try it, but never got around to it. Until last week when pioneer woman announced her next photo challenge was macro. I thought, Well, guess I have to sit this one out. Then the lightbulb went off and I remembered that trick I heard about. So I tried it out. It took some fiddling to get something decent, but I love the final results.

When you take your lens off (don't do this in a dusty place), remember to unlock the aperture and open it up all the way.

Here's the tulip I was shooting before I took off the lens.

And here's the macro.


Awesome, right? And here's a petal.



In photoshop, I jacked the unsharp mask way up there to make the details pop even more.

I will definitely be trying this one again.

And just because she was looking so cute yesterday, I'll let Maddi tell you Happy Friday!

 

5 comments:

  1. fantastic photos! never heard of flipping the lens like that-but i will definitely try it! btw, love the shots of your dogs, too! thanks for linking up... you're my one and only so far this week! pls dont' give up... thinking i lost some readers when i switched to wordpress... sigh. :)

    www.findingserendipity.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! ps: would you pls link back to findingserendipity so your readers can play along? i'm working on a button that you will be able to lift, but dont't have one now... just using my daisy w a link. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way cool! love the flower...love the doggy even more (he doesn't need any macro)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these photos. Unfortunately I don't even have a camera with a lens. Shall I hide my face in shame. LOL

    I came over from Patty's.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the post and the photo examples!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

traffic statistics