Friday, April 9, 2010

floored

If you take the interstate through Memphis, you'll probably see this sign. I've always loved it. It's right next to my eye doctor, and last time I was there I swung next door to snap a shot.

I knew it had closed in the last few years, and that it had been around a while - my mom went on a date here in high school. But that was about all I knew.

So I did a little research, and turns out Skateland has quite the history.

Beginning across the street in another, much larger building.


It opened in 1955, but just eight years later the owner sold the building and bought the smaller one. But he brought the neon signs with him. Complete with rotating wheels.

The original building has since been different discount stores, a department store and now a glass company.

Skateland closed in 2006 when there was a roof fire, but the sign remains.

And this is the cool part. A local craftsman/musician bought much of the flooring and now makes and sells furniture from it. He calls it Firebrand Furniture.

You can see a few more pics here. It's gorgeous, right? Talk about a conversation piece. Is it too early to start my Christmas list?


btw: I used the vintage photoshop method from yesterday's post on the top photo.


Linking up with Finding Serendipity's The Way I See It photo hop.

1 comment:

  1. what a cool sign! and the background is fun, too (rotating sign wheels!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

traffic statistics